South Run Rec Center offers so much to do for all ages! This Fairfax County Recreation Center is very large and well-maintained (in comparison to Audrey Moore Rec Center which is a little older). It has a great pool, fitness and hobby classes, a great playground, tennis courts, a dog training area, basketball courts, soccer, softball, and baseball fields. Also, on the property is the South Run Rec Center Dog Park and Go Ape Zipline and Adventure Park. It is located right off the Fairfax County Parkway.
I am a casual lap swimmer and think their indoor swimming pool deserves a special mention as it has a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the trees which is beautiful year-round and great when opened in the summer!
South Run Rec Center is located at 7550 Reservation Dr, Springfield, VA 22153. Check out the up-to-date hours, class information, and more on their website.
Playground at South Run Rec Center
My kids and I love the South Run Rec Center Playground! In the summer they have 2 huge canopies that create 100% shade in the heat. I also like the semi-separated big kids and little kids area, all with astroturf and a couple of benches. It is not fully fenced. There are also toddler swings, big kid swings and slides, and a tire swing.
Go Ape Zipline and Adventure Park
In the same parking lot as the South Run ReCenter is Go Ape Springfield which is a popular Zip Line and Ropes Course. They have 4 different adventures including:
- Treetop Journey for those who are 3 feet 3 inches and above. The longest zipline is 75 geet and the highest platform is 27 feet.
- Treetop Discovery for those who are 4 ft 7 inches and above. Includes 30 foot high platform, 32 obstacles and a 320 feet zipline. The adventure takes 2-3 hours.
- Treetop Adventure for those who are 4 ft 7 inches and above. Includes 50 foot high platform, 70 obstacles and a 320 feet zipline. The adventure takes 2-3 hours.
- and the Monkey Drop for 5 years and up which is a jump platform of 40 feet high and a 10 foot freefall!
Other Things to Do Near South Run Rec Center
- Burke Lake Park is only 8 minutes drive away!
- More Kid-Friendly Hikes in Northern Virginia
- 40 Best Playgrounds in Northern Virginia
- City: Springfield, VA
- Type: Playgrounds
- Outdoor or Indoor? Outdoor
- Age Range:
- Good for Babies? Yes
- Good for Elementary? Yes
- Good for Teens? Yes
Hours & Tickets
- Hours: Open daily
- Free or Paid? Free
- Cost: Free
- Advance Tickets Required? No
- Restrooms? No
- Parking Type? Street
- Stroller/Wheelchair Accessible? No