My Number 1 Tip to Getting Advanced Tickets to the Washington Monument:
Choose Large Group ticket option! Even if you don't have a large group, that is the only way I got tickets twice. Otherwise, they are gone in 5 seconds!
The Process for Advanced and Same-Day Tickets:
- Visit the official website 30 days before at 10 AM to reserve. Important to already have a Recreation.gov login and I would refresh starting at 9:58 AM. I've heard of people getting tickets at 10:15 AM too after the first set of people leave the tickets in their cart too long.
- Remember my tip from above and choose the Large Group option!
- The NPS charges a nominal fee $1 fee for obtaining the tickets so have your credit card ready.
- On the day of your visit, plan to wait a while in the sun as they only bring in 9 people at a time through security and the elevator. We had 10:30 AM tickets and entered around 11:10.
- Enjoy your visit! Once you've obtained your tickets and entered the monument, take your time to explore and appreciate the historical significance and breathtaking views from the Washington Monument. My kids liked walking the steps from the 500 foot level to the 490 level with a small museum about the engineering marvel. it's amazing that the stones are only held together by gravity and friction! No steel beams or mortar!