Smithsonian Museums are great for kids but can get overwhelming with all there is to see and learn. Below are blog posts for each of the DC Smithsonian museums with info on Parking, Food Options, Logistics & Age-Specific recommendations (Babies and Toddlers, Elementary and Teens).
Smithsonian Museums Kids Guides – Updated 2021
Blog posts below are from before 2020 but will be updated and linked to above! All the information on Smithsonian reopenings can be found at the Smithsonian’s website.
Scheduled Re-Opening Schedule
Open Now (timed passes required)
- National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
National Museum of American History
- National Museum of the American Indian
- National Portrait Gallery
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo
- Haupt Garden (behind Castle) open daily dawn to dusk
- Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden open daily 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Opening Summer 2021
- June 18: National Museum of Natural History
- July 16: National Museum of African Art and National Museum of Asian Art Freer Gallery
- July 30: National Air and Space Museum (DC) and Smithsonian Institution Building (Castle)
- August 6: Anacostia Community Museum No timed-entry passes required
- August 20: Hirshhorn Museum
- August 27: National Postal Museum No timed-entry passes required