With our increased time outside this winter, I knew we needed to upgrade my kids’ all weather gear! And so I was off on a hunt for great waterproof overalls kids would love that would also allow them to play outside no matter the weather.
Years ago, I remember reading a book about kids growing up in Scandinavian countries and attending Forest Schools where they were outside in all sorts of weather for hours a day. The kids there wore these rubber kids waterproof overalls that could be hosed down for each day of messy wonderful outdoor play.
My hunt started with the expensive Instagram boutique websites. Quickly the sticker shock made me turn to Amazon. To my surprise, I actually found a ton of options! I wondered if they would just be cheap knockoffs. I ordered a couple different types of overalls and my kids tested them out. And I am happy to report that we found our favorite kids waterproof overalls! I am also sharing other winter gear items for kids and 2 of my favorites.
The Amazon links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thanks!
Why Waterproof Overalls for Kids?
- Did you know it actually rains more in DC than in Seattle?! The DC area gets more rain on average with on average with 39.74 inches. Seattle gets 27.49. But Seattle does have more rainy days at 157 a year to DC’s 131. (Source: WUSA9)
- Snow pants are great for snow but they are not all the flexible and require washing and drying if they get muddy. Kids waterproof overalls are much more flexible for kids to run, jump and play!
- Lightweight. The ones I love below are lightweight enough to be worn from September to May (I would guess, haven’t had them that whole time!) and would be excellent in a creek play situation!
My Favorite Kids Waterproof Overalls on Amazon:
My favorites of the ones we tried are these Kids Waterproof Rain Pants Dirty Proof Suspender Trousers for Boys and Girls by Aliwiner.
- 4.6 Stars as of writing this.
- Sizes: 2T/3T all the way to 9/10 years old
- Comes in 9 colors including 7 solid colors and 2 prints (dinosaur or elephant)
My daughter loved the purple ones I bought for her. She said she liked how flexible they are and that the inside is soft.
My favorite part of these kids waterproof overalls:
- Every part is adjustable and can grow with your child. The over shoulder strap is adjustable and there are buttons on the sides to adjust the width.
- I like that the foot straps keep the pants in place when you put on boots. But my daughter actually did not like the feeling on her feet. So she simply bushed the strap around her ankle instead)
- There is a reflector strip on the pants that can help a child’s visibility if walking in the darkness.
- These are not warm enough for the super cold. But with warm leggings or pants underneath, they would be great for keeping wind and water out!
- They are not padded, so snow pants would be better for sledding to absorb falls.
2 More Good Waterproof Overalls for Kids Options:
- Aliwiner also makes a full Kids Hooded Rainsuit Waterproof Coverall for ages 2 – 12. This is a full head to toe jumpsuit. We have not tried this as I don’t think my daughter at age 8 would want to wear it. But would be great for younger kids I’m sure!
- Another one that we tried is these ToddlerWaterproof Rain Pants by PongYou They were nice quality but I liked the overalls features on the pair above better to help keep the pants up when out in the mud.
Other Waterproof All Weather Gear for Kids
My son loved these so much! The fleece part is so soft that he didn’t want to put a shirt on underneath as you can see in the picture J
Great price and 4.6 stars with 3,000+ reviews as of writing.
My daughter has worn Bog Boots for the past 3 winters and absolutely loves them! They are Rain and Snow Boots in one, incredible quality and great traction. Best of all they are easy for any age kid to put on with their “handles.”
(I have the Amazon links below but I will confess that I have purchased all 3 of her pairs pre-owned on auction or local marketplace sites because they are pricy. They hold up so well that I can then resell them for usually around the same price I purchased them used for.)
Features: 100% Rubber, Leather and Rubber Sole, Aegis anti-microbial odor protection insole.
Note: These are not fluffy inside so recommend warm socks (my suggestion below!)
Or if you have a Glitter Fan, they have Rose Gold Glitter, Silver Glitter and Black Glitter versions
My daughter’s favorite coat! She feels overheated very easily so she loves this lightweight but warm jacket. We will need to get her a proper snow jacket for the serious snow days but for now she’s worn this in as low as 21 degrees!
4.6 stars and 1,600+ ratings as of writing!
A Splurge that Makes a Huge Difference – Socks!
I have always bought the cheapest gloves and socks for my kids because I always think that since they grow out of things quickly, its not worth the cost. But I’m finally realizing that investing in high quality materials makes such a difference. Especially when you are talking about being wet and cold!
This year, I bought Smartwool socks for my kids and they are wonderful. Yes, 1 pair is the price of a whole pack (or two!) of big box store socks BUT these are made of 73% Merino wool, 23% nylon and 1% elastane. They are so comfortable and warm but you don’t sweat at all!
I have had the same pair of Smartwool socks for 4 years and they are still going strong and this year my husband got his first pair and wears them like slippers!
Tip: Definitely size up! They run super small. Lots of different styles to check out:
Cool Patterns – Smartwool Ski Racer Socks
Solid Color – Smartwool Unisex Hike Light Crew (Toddler/Little Kid/Big Kid)
Stripes – Smartwool Kids Striped Hike Light Crew
Women’s All Weather Gear
My lovely sister-in-law bought me these gloves for my birthday this year and I love them! The gloves are lined with the same merino wool as Smartwool socks and have a waterproof outer shell. I wore them this week with our first snow/freezing rain and they kept my hands so warm!
My favorite feature is they’re flexibility. Its easy now to drive the car with them OR join a snowball fight!
Keen Elsa Boots
I am not a fashion forward person but since a couple of friends have asked about my boots, I wanted to share. I’ve worn my Keen Elsa Boots nearly every winter day since I bought them in 2018. They are waterproof and look cute with all sorts of pants and most of all COZY!
I have the Elsa Premium Snow Boot in Espresso/Montano Grape and there are more versions of the Elsa below:
Keen Women’s Elsa Waterproof Winter Boot
Keen Womens Eksa II Quilted Waterproof Mulch
And there you have it! These are all of my recommendations for waterproof overalls for kids as well as all weather gear for families. I hope you found something useful for your socially distanced adventures this winter! If you need ideas on where to go, check out my 17 Winter Social Distancing Spots. Feel free to send me any questions over on Instagram or here in the comments.