We live in a great area for Splash Pad Parks near me in Northern Virginia for 2022! We’ve been to 10 of the 12 listed below and it’s just great free family fun in the Summer!
Virginia Highlands Splash Pad, Arlington
Table of Contents
- Fairfax County (4)
- Arlington County (7)
- Alexandria County (1)
- Beyond Virginia DC and Maryland
- Swimming Gear We Use
- Map of the Splash Pad Parks
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This is at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Splash Pad Parks in Fairfax County, Northern Virginia
- Our Special Harbor Splash Park: Our favorite in Virginia! Here’s a reel from last year, we go every year. It’s located off Telegraph Road near Kingstowne at Lee District Rec Center. It will be open from May 28 – June 12 Saturday, Sundays, and Holidays from 9:30 AM to 7 PM, and then from June 13 – August 21 it will be open daily with some different hours. This is an amazing place! 🆓 Free! 🅿️ Free big parking lot. ♿️ 💯 Accessible!🌳(aka shade) a couple of the benches and chairs are under a shade canopy 🎠 Carousel is $4 and buy tickets online. ($3 on weekdays!) Need to bring “aquatic shoes with a manufactured back strap at all times.”
- Fairfax City Splash Pad at Old Town Square: Nice spot to splash and play on a hot day. About 15 jets open daily from 8 AM to 10 PM daily. Note: They have a couple dates througout the summer that it will be closed because of concerts. Highly recommend you check the city's website before you go out to avoid disappointment!
- The Boro, Tysons: New last year, this is another 15 or so jet splash pad that my kids liked! Not too much to do but for littles it would be great with an astroturf field and Jeni's Ice Creams near by! Checking if open for 2022! Pictures and video in this post.
- Reston Town Center: This is the only one we haven't been to but will try this summer. Here is the Google Maps entry with photos and will check when it reopens for 2022.
Splash Pad Parks in Arlington County, Northern Virginia
Open Memorial Day to Labor Day. Arlington County has a great website with all the updates!
- Drew Park: This was my personal favorite last summer because ALL shaded in the afternoon! Here's a reel of our time. Fun playground next door. Recommend parking the community center parking lot. Hours: Monday & Thursday 2-8 p.m.; Closed Tuesday; Wednesday & Friday 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; Saturday & Sunday Noon-8 p.m. Restrooms in the community center up the hill.
- Hayes Park: Great park for little ones! Fenced and has a planets themed spray park. (Playground post here) Hours: Monday & Thursday 10 a.m.–3 p.m.; Tuesday & Friday 2–8 p.m.; Closed Wednesday; Saturday & Sunday Noon–8 p.m. Has restrooms.
- Lyon Village Park: Another great park with a small splash pad. Perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. Fenced! Hours: Monday & Tuesday 10 a.m.–3 p.m.; Wednesday & Friday 2–8 p.m.; Closed Thursday; Saturday & Sunday Noon–8 p.m.
- Virginia Highlands Parks: Such a great one! My kids loved this one but was a bit crowded on a hot weekend (to be expected!) Photo above! Hours: Daily 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Has a restroom!
- Penrose Square (Interactive Water Feature) Hours: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily except closed on Wednesdays for maintenance. No restroom.
- Mosaic Park (Closed until further notice) "Maintenance will take place Mon.-Fri. from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the water feature will open back up to the public from 1-10:30 p.m." from their website.
- Long Bridge Park (Misting Feature!) Check out this reel. Ah the cool set of 3 playgrounds at Long Bridge Park! Plus you can watch airplanes take off at DCA and trains right next to the walkway. We all loved it! Coolest playground is the Mist/Fog/Spray playground, perfect for cooling off. Also my kids loved the big red button to turn it on. Second is what I am calling the “teletubby hill” playground which was SHADED and had so many cool features. My kids played here the longest and it was great for hide and seek! Third is a Bridge playground my daughter asked, “is that art or a playground?” Very cool but also very hot so we opted for the other two.
Long Bridge Park, National Landing Arlington
Splash Pad Parks in Alexandria County
- Potomac Yard Park: Great splash pad between two playgrounds right in Potomac Yard. The only problem is parking can sometimes be hard to find. Currently open in 2022 from 10 AM to 9 PM Memorial Day through Labor Day and 10 AM to 8 PM Labor Day to approx. mid-October. Includes 36 water jets and offers 3 programmable sequences and sensors! From Alexandria City website here. Free! Post about the playground here.
DC and Maryland Spraygrounds
- DC Parks and Recreation operates 34 spray parks in the District! They have a great website with a Google Map that shows you the locations. They are open Memorial Day Weekend until Labor Day and operate 10 AM to 8 PM daily.
- Note: Each park is closed for maintenance 5 hours, one day a week. The link here shares which day that is for each park!
- Yards Park Wading Pool, Canal Basin and Water Wall - This is our family's favorite! Check out the reel here. As of May 29th it is still closed for maintenance.
- Maryland - I need to visit and research more but here is a good blog post that lists some pools and splash parks that are good for preschoolers in Maryland.
- Paid Water Parks - Check out this post here.
Swimming Gear for Splash Pads
#1 Favorite Sun Hat: We've used these hats for 6 years! (Originally from REI bought found on Amazon) 2,700, 5-star reviews with UPF 50 and Smart Strap which is safer to help prevent choking.
#2 UPF Rashguard Shirts: I purchased this one for my daughter because I like the mock neck. Tons of colors and sizes and a great price.
#3 Water Shoes: Great to have water shoes to help your kids not hurt the bottoms of their feet. I always look for covered/reinforced toes which these have. Lots of colors and styles for girls and boys.